Thursday 28 April 2011

A Load Of Old Rhubarb

I was reading a forum post a couple of weeks back entitled 'What To Do With Rhubarb'.  There are many suggestions I'm sure, but the amount of ridiculous wine recipes that cropped up  astounded me.  Freeze the Rhubarb to break down the flavours, add this that and the other, boil the Rhubarb etc etc.  I'm sure most of these recipes have their place, but this was not a wine making forum, far from it.  Rhubarb is one of the easiest wines to make, always consistent, and ideal for beginners or non-wine makers (which frequent the forum in question). So, thanks to C.J.J. Berry for this recipe, I'd never do it any other way;

Makes 1 gallon

3lb Rhubarb
3lb Sugar
Wine yeast & nutrient

Wash the Rhubarb under the tap and cut in to smallish pieces.

Put in plastic fermenting bin and cover with all the sugar

Leave for 24 hours or until all the sugar has dissolved.  It may need a quick stir to get more of the Rhubarb covered.

Strain all the juice off into a demijohn.  Fill to shoulder with cold water and add the yeast & nutrient.  After about a week (or once the frothing has subsided), top up with water.

No boiling, no messing around, and makes a great wine.

I recently asked the Scottish fruit wine producer Cairn 'o' Mohr why they stopped making Rhubarb wine and was told that it was too much grief with all the boiling.  I can't understand that as I have made many gallons using this recipe and it is consistently good.


And if you've never heard of C.J.J. Berry, I really do suggest you Google him.

No comments:

Post a Comment